Interview with our suppliers: Sara Spinelli from Spinelli Cibus
I love working with our suppliers and we are so proud of them. That's why, I will interview all of them and we'll share our chat on the blog and on social media.
A different way to go beyond what we do with them.
I started with Sara Spinelli, from Spinelli Cibus. The company distributing our excellent extra virgin olive oil and scaldatelli.
- How does Spinelli Cibus contribute to the development of the territory and the local economy? All the producers belong to small companies. This means that their families are involved. This means that this is the main income for more than one family. Furthermore, part of the land used for the plantation of the raw material was abandoned and then brought back to life. When possible,I also organize tasting events in special and rural locations. This means that more parties of the local economy are involved. Hopefully, it will soon be possible again! I also verify that the companies do not take advantage of the workers. Unfortunately in Puglia, when we talk mainly about tomatoes, you need to be careful of the illegal recruitment.
- What makes your product special? All the products and ingredients come from 0km production chain. Everything happens in a radius of maximum 30 kms. I follow every single step, from beginning to end. There is then a very strong check from my side. The coratina extra virgin olive oil has been declared 'natural medicine' from the FDA.
- How do you select your raw material? I know personally every single company of the area, every single producer I work with. I taste every product, I check on a regular basis the information and official quality certifications. I visit them on a regular basis in order to make sure that the quality level is always high, that the hygiene rules are followed.
- How do you think Chiara’s Food matches with Spinelli Cibus' mission?We are friends first and then colleagues. Many years ago, while we were drinking prosecco in the city centre of Rome, we spoke a lot and share a lot of ideas. Back then already, we shared the same values about life and work. From good people to good people!
- Any questions for me? It is a comment more than a question. I really hope we will soon be able to organize an event together.